Two Mysteries – One Solved and One beginning

 

It has been an exciting summer this year. We now have an added member to the Dionne Quiltuplets. My first granddaughter, Elizabeth, was born in July and I am so enjoying her and seeing her grow. She is our youngest member so far and she is definitely benefiting from all our craftiness.

To address the first solved mystery – last February, I posted about “My Stash” (and, yes , it is still growing.) At the end of the post, I mentioned that I had a fabric that  I really liked. What could possess me to use this piece of fabric when I knew that the recipient would probably never notice, and it would be thrown on the floor and washed many times?

Quilt Fabric

The gift was a hooded towel for my granddaughter.  I used this fabric for the binding. I had chosen the towel and the hood fabric and when I auditioned my fabrics for the binding, this was the best choice. I was only too happy to use it.

P1020667

  P1020671

The pattern and instructions for this  hooded towel is found on the “Stitched in Color” blog (under tutorials, “Repurposed Hooded towel”).  I love how Rachel creates all kinds of colourful items. The only comment that I would add is to use a hand towel that is not too big, otherwise, you will have a huge hood.

And for the second Mystery – I have started a new mystery quilt. (I could write an essay on the UFO quilts that I have, but as long as my list is not as long as some of the other quilt  bloggers, I am happy.) I normally do not like doing mystery quilts as you can end up with something that you do not like. But in corasquilts.com blog, she describes the quilt as a bohemian, Moroccan, mosaic feel. She also shows another pattern that she  has created and mentions that the mystery quilt is most similar to that pattern.  ( I have admired that quilt before from Flicker)

I am using colours that are darker than the pattern calls for, but I wanted to use fabric from my stash.  And here is the confession, I had to get a bit more fabric so that I had enough of each colour. But I am really excited about this project. Every Friday night, I have the instructions for the coming week.  I am impressed so far, as the instructions are very clear.

The first week was cutting the fabric. There are 1325 pieces. The only change that I made was to keep the squares for the half square triangles whole instead of cutting them in two. P1030490

The pattern even includes letters for each type of square.

P1030489

The second week was making squares (40) out of the half square triangles.

P1030491

And having fun with the pieces. The pieces look purple/aqua so far, but my whole quilt is more in the fall colours.

P1030494P1030495P1030496

There is still time to join this mystery quilt.

http://www.corasquilts.com/quilt-alongs/gypsy-queen/

Thanks, Michele

 

One thought on “Two Mysteries – One Solved and One beginning

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s