More than 4 years after deciding to make a quilt together, B and I have finally finished! Since starting the quilt, degrees have been finished (and almost finished), babies born, new jobs started and new homes bought. Making this quilt has been quite the journey, so I’m excited to share the final result!
The finished top: ironed and ready to quilt!
Unloading the quilt from the longarm machine.
And finally: the finished product!
I tried machine stitching the binding for the first time. I’m quite pleased with how it turned out and how much faster it was to complete!
As soon as B got home, she put it on her bed and sent a picture. I love how fresh and bright it looks!
Until the next post,
I recently started the Gathering Mystery quilt at Cora’s Quilts. I used this opportunity to buy some more fabric! I decided use all Kaffe Fassett Collective, since I love the patterns but have never used only those fabrics in a quilt. Hyggeligt Fabrics has a great selection for those looking to order from a Canadian store!
I cut all the pieces, and have completed the clues for week 2 and 3.
I love how the colours are coming together and can’t wait to share the next weeks!
We finally got around to making the exchange for the next round! I thought we made the last exchange at Thanksgiving, but I’ve been informed it was actually last May! A quick check to the blog post confirms this fact, so I hope the next few round will be a bit faster.
Here is our progress:
The addition to this one is the little scene showing my grandparents’ old house. Pieces of fabric from all the round robin quilt have been added. Can you identify them?
Fabulous feathers and an arrow have been added to this string quilt.
Stripes and circles were added here. This was my contribution and I would probably applique the circles if I did it again. I got a lot of practice with curves though!
The simplicity of the flying geese border helps to brighten up this piece.
More flying geese and teacups in the corners, partially obscured by a baby that refused to move. One of the teacups features the little red robin!
These flying geese bring out the triangle theme from the centre and continue to feature Kaffe Fassett fabric (always a favourite!).
I hope you enjoy the update on progress, and I hope the next instalment will take less time than 11 months!
My Grandmother turned 101 years old in the beginning of February. I wanted to make a little something to celebrate her birthday . I sewed some hearts and stringed them with a sisal cord.
(I got my inspiration for the hearts from the Valentine Throw Pillow Tutorial on the Diary of a Quilter blog.)
I wanted to see what it would like hanging on a wall or in my case, the fireplace. I loved my hearts! For a moment, I thought I would keep it.
But it looked even better at my Grandma’s.
PS Can you image how many quilts we could make if we all lived to 101!!
Je vais assister à la fête d’anniversaire d’une bonne amie demain – elle aura 40 ans! Alors j’ai décidé de lui faire un sac, mais d’essayer un nouveau patron cette fois, pour faire changement. La belle-soeur de ma soeur m’a prêté le patron Sonoma Swing Bag de Pink Sand Beach Designs car elle l’avait essayé et l’avait aimé. Alors je l’ai fait, avec des tissus plutôt modernes, et une gamme de couleurs que je savais que mon amie aimerait. J’ai mis du Soft and Stable (de byannie.com) entre les épaisseurs de tissus pour lui donner de la raideur et de la stabilité. Même si j’ai eu quelques petits obstacles, je suis contente du résultat final. J’espère que mon amie le sera aussi!
(Et elle ne connait pas encore l’existence de ce site, alors je peux y mettre la photo du sac!)
I love mini charm packs! They are an inexpensive way to play with all the fabrics of a collection. I’ve started accumulating a little pile, so I’m experimenting with mini quilts as a way to use them.
Stack of minis showing the variety of colour within
Minis laid our
I’ve also completed my first mini-quilt of this series. It’s not a new project (UFO #14) and the binding was sitting with a few inches to go for months. I started with a mini pack of Carolyn Friedlander’s Doe collection. After getting a layout I liked, I sewed pairs of squares to make rectangular four-patches.
Carolyn Friedlander ‘Doe’ collection
Layout of pieces
Even though it’s a simple design, I like how it turned out!
The finished product!
Close-up of finished product
Until next time!
I have been meaning to post for awhile, but didn’t realize how long it’s been until I went to make a post and realized I’d forgotten my password. Oops!
So with a new year, and a fresh start, I am once again making a resolution to post more frequently. By more frequently I mean once per month, but I’d like to eventually get new content on our blog weekly.
Without further ado, here is the update on my unfinished projects! I finished two projects, the rag quilt and placemats for a friend. I want to say I hated making the rag quilt. Making all those little cuts was tedious and hurt my hand, and all for a quilt that’s supposed to look like it’s made from rags!
Rag quilt – finished!
The other project I finished was a set of placemats for a friend who got married. I did quilt-as-you-go for each one and chose bright coloured fabrics to complement my friend’s very cheery personality.
To give the gift, I got inspiration from a jelly roll and use a simple white ribbon to show off the colours of the mats.
I’m happy to have finished these projects – now on to the other 30!!!
p.s. I wish everyone a happy 2017, and the best of wishes in getting to those UFOs!